Information for current honors students
By leaning into curiosity, deep learning, and interdisciplinarity, our students find connections across fields of study and create innovative approaches to their work. The hope? That they inspire more creativity and innovation while at KU and after.
Students must fulfill the following four requirements to graduate with university honors:
- A one-hour honors first-year seminar course (HNRS 177, HNRS 190, or HNRS 195).
- At least 18 credit hours in a minimum of six honors courses. (Course offered by the honors program, designated by an academic department as an honors course, or created through a course contract with instructor approval qualify, as do graduate courses at the 700 level or higher and two semesters maximum of a less commonly taught language.)
- Four Enhanced Learning Experiences (ELEs) selected from eight options and submitted successfully.
- A cumulative KU GPA of 3.25 or higher and demonstrated progress toward University Honors Program graduation requirements.
On the front page of the KU Portal, click the upper-left "Customize" button, then search for "undergraduate certificates" and add this panel to your page. When you’re ready to submit a description and reflection for your ELE, click the "Honors Program" button. Some tips:
- Share specific experiences. Each should illustrate an instance of learning.
- Answer all three parts of the prompt. It's surprisingly easy to skip one.
- Don't overthink it. If you miss something, you'll be notified to resubmit.
- There are no length requirements. Aim for “reasonable but meaningful.”
- Use the ELE Hours Tracking Form (.xlsx) as a supporting document, if helpful.
Steps to graduate
- Check your Degree Progress Report (DPR). The “Honors Requirements for Completion” section under the UCRT tab on your DPR should show as complete with a green “In Good Standing” circle. (Or you should have a plan for finishing your final requirements.) If a course or experience is missing, immediately email Mauricio Gómez Montoya at MauricioGomez@ku.edu.
- Submit your Application for Graduation (AFG). After confirming completion of program requirements on your DPR, you will need to complete the same AFG process required by your major for the University Honors Program. For May graduates who wish to appear in the Commencement program, this step must be completed prior to March 1.
- Complete and submit the Honors Graduation Form. May graduates should do so by March 1, December graduates by Nov. 1, and summer graduates by July 15.
- Review the university's Commencement website. The site’s information will prepare you and those attending your graduation events for a successful celebration.