ELE || Aesthetic Engagement
This ELE encourages students to actively participate in the arts, or to develop a critical appreciation of them. Examples include:
- Completing the Arts Engagement Certification
- Double majoring/minoring in an arts-focused program, such as music, visual arts, dance, theater, creative writing, or design
- Participating for at least two semesters in a musical ensemble, such as Marching JayHawks, Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, University Symphony Orchestra, Jazz Ensemble I or II, KU Choirs, Opera Workshop (only applicable for non-Music majors)
- Participating in the performing arts, such as the Lied Center of Kansas, Spencer Museum of Art, Nelson Atkins Museum of Art, City Stage, or Starlight Theater (at least 45 hours of engagement)
- Exhibiting creative work in a juried show which has admissions criteria for entry
- Publishing creative work in a peer-reviewed publication which has an editing process. Examples at KU include CHALK and Kiosk, but the publication does not have to be housed at KU.
- Serving as an editor for a creative publication
Once you have completed your Aesthetic Engagement Experience, submit your ELE application through your MyKU portal here.
Reflection Question: This reflection consists of three parts: For the first paragraph, please summarize concisely what you did and the activity(ies) time commitment(s). Next, what motivated you to embark on this creative endeavor? What part of your background and experiences shine through in your creative work, and why? Or, how have you better understood the background and experiences of others through their creative work? Finally, tie your experience back to your education: how has this experience shaped your learning?
Note: In order to maintain relevance and significance, your reflection should be submitted within one semester of the completion of the ELE.