International Student Admissions
International applicants applying to KU as incoming freshmen should complete the standard KU application along with their Honors application and demonstrate English proficiency in one of the following ways:
- iBT—a score of 23 or higher for each section score
- Paper—a score of 57 or higher for each section score (with exception for Speaking, which may be lower) and a 4.5 or higher on the Test of Written English (TWE)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS), academic format—6.0 or higher for each part and a total score of 6.5
Exemption from the TOEL/IELTS admission requirement by the Office of International Recruitment & Undergraduate Admissions based on:
- Attendance and graduation from a US-based or US-accredited high school
- ACT 27 English score or an SAT 600 Critical Reading score or higher, they may be exempt from the TOEFL or IELTS requirement.
International students who do not meet one of these three sets of requirements are invited to apply to the University Honors Program after completing one semester (12-18 credit hours) at the University of Kansas with a GPA of 3.5 or higher and obtaining clearance from required intensive English courses from the KU Applied English Center.
Current international KU students can complete our standard Honors application to apply.